17 Sep Mineral wagon
The wagon is an ‘approximation’ of once fairly common 7-plank mineral wagons, as used by many of the collieries in the Forest of Dean including the Parkend Deep Navigation Collieries Ltd. However, the actual wagon at Parkend was built for one of the mainline railway companies and has been greatly rebuilt to how we see it today. The wagons for the Parkend company would have run to the sidings at Parkend Castlemain. The wagons would also have served the New Fancy Colliery via sidings off the Severn & Wye’s Mineral Loop. Many of the companies wagons were built by the Gloucester Railway Carriage & Wagon Co. One interesting fact is that a number of Parkend wagons were purchased by the Mersey Docks & Harbour Board about 1938-39 and used for imported timber storage, perhaps with a view to ready mobility in the event of enemy action. Many of them still stood, in very poor condition, in Gladstone Field sidings at Seaforth as late as 1955.